Monday, April 28, 2008

Its Monday

Here is Jack and I heading to church yesterday morning!


Well the end of our missions conference was yesterday... what a great weekend! I'll post quickly about the highlights. Saturday was a ladies lunch and we went for a wonderful buffet lunch. Aaron got to keep both kids - I can't remember the last time I went out for lunch... and without kids yet! Jack had to drink his first bottle, (of breastmilk) which he did very slowly and uncertainly (Aaron said it took him an hour to chew out a mouthful at a time!) The two missionaries' wives spoke about their experiences in Nicaragua and South Africa. It was so wonderful to hear what God was doing in the lives of others all over the world! It was also very interesting to hear about these women's experiences in these foreign countries and how God was working in their lives.

During the preaching a few key thoughts really struck me. What is our purpose on earth? Mark 16:15 says it pretty clearly "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." I've heard this verse plenty of times in my life and never has it struck me as it did this weekend... I've never read it and thought of it as being written for me. But why not? Who is it written to if not to me? Isn't the bible my instruction book for life? Its the Word of God. How much clearer does it get? Which leaves me wondering... am I making it known to everyone in my life what a huge change I've experienced or am I just carrying on with my life as I was before? As Christians we should love one another and if I truly loved everyone I wouldn't just sit quietly and let people go to hell! If I don't know if people are saved I should ask... that way I can let them know how to get to heaven. Am I really putting God first in my life? Or am I just going through the motions of life on earth with no thought of eternity? Which brings me to my next point. Here on earth everyone has put a huge emphasis on 'preparing for the future' and we are taught to save for college, houses, cars, retirement and all these things that are not going to be a concern in heaven. Why aren't we putting as much thought and effort into spiritual things? What about the real future? Life here on earth is just one grain of sand in the hourglass of time, but our life in heaven is FOREVER! I want to make sure that I'm living my life telling everyone about God and seeking his will in my life. I used to say "people should have balance in their lives. it can't just be all church and God" but really, why can't it? As long as we're following his will (which according to the bible includes working hard - 2 Th 3:10 "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.") then why shouldn't the rest of our time be spent worshiping our Lord? Another thought was the idea that God's will for our lives is to let His light shine through us. We shouldn't enter into anything in life without being a light for Jesus! I believe that I am within God's will to stay home. God commands women to be "...keepers at home..." (Titus 2:5) The rest of that passage is also worthy of a good read on what God expects from us as women. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying it. God also has a laundry list of expectations that apply only to men, and a list that applies to both of us. But what I'm getting at is that even though I am at home I can still do the work of God by adhering to His expectations and telling anyone I come into contact with about the love of Jesus! The preacher was talking about men and how they shouldn't just enter a profession to make money but to use their profession as an opportunity to witness to others about God. You don't have to travel to the outermost parts of the world to be a missionary.

Well my kids are sleeping but my time is running out to fold some laundry and finish some dishes uninterrupted!

7 comments:

Deborah said...

Amen! to all that you wrote!
Sounds like you had a great missions conference! I love to hear how the Lord is teaching you, 'little by little'...just as your blog title says!

Deborah said...

I was just at 'Connie's Thoughts from My Heart'....you would enjoy her post! Her blog is on my sidebar.

Deborah said...

Me again!!
I have new blogroll on my site. Come and check it out...Click on the icon on my left sidebar- Join Songs from my Journey blogroll for more info.

Little Mama said...

Hey! I love your blog and would like to TAG you! You're it!

http://bloominlife.blogspot.com/2008/05/tag-youre-it.html

1. Write your own six word memoir

2.Post it on your blog, and include a visual illustration if you like.

3.Link to the person who tagged you in your post

4.Tag five more blogs with links

5.Remember to leave a comment on the tagged blogs inviting them to play.

Julia
Julia

Deborah said...

Oh, you got tagged!! I'll be watching for your 6 word memoir.
I was just stopping by to tell you I started a meme too. I didn't officially tag you, but I thought you might like to join anyway. The details are on my blog.

Deborah said...

okay...I'm now Officially tagging you!

Deborah said...

....hmmmmm....and it's almost monday again..... ;0)