Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I'm a clothing designer!

Well I was just not happy with the clothing options available for my little girl. In order to get the appropriate length of skirt I had to put her in dresses/skirts that were either too big or the same style I wore as a child. Neither option was very appealing to me and since I don't consider myself to be a very good seemstress the idea of making my own was a little overwhelming for me. SOoooo here's what I came up with....

This little brown skirt was a sundress. I cut off the ties and sewed down the flap and voila a skirt! (it already had elastic across the back so I just kept that) I also made a little slip since the brown fabric was a little see through. This was EASY!
These 2 skirts were little denim mini skirts. I came up with the idea to add one chunk of denim in the middle and then a ruffle to the bottom. I think they look great! (I didn't actually do the sewing of these, my MIL did while I sewed all the other stuff that I'm putting up, but I did come up with the idea)


These skirts started off as corduroy pants. I chopped off the legs and then added the additional fabric. I did the blue one first but decided that I didn't like it being so straight so on the purple/pink one I flared the fabric out... at first I was going to use the same fabric for the ruffle but then I messed up and had to cut a chunk off because I was too lazy to stitch rip so I decided it might be fun and different to add a different colored fabric to the bottom for the ruffle - I LOVE it!
Aside from all my skirt sewing for Danielle I also fixed up a skirt I pick up at VV to be a maternity skirt for my SIL by cutting off the top and then re-sewing it with some button hole elastic so that its adjustable. I works great! I hope she likes it!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those skirts look great! Well done! (I may be stealing an idea or two since Char is a size smaller around her waist than the rest of her--things are always too short.)

Deborah said...

Wow! I'm impressed! They're very nice.

Unknown said...

I love them! Your vision is turning out great. Now you can help me when I have a girl! LOL.

clanmama said...

Right on Nadine!!! I'm really impressed with your designing accomplishment. Keep it coming!

~~Deby said...

oh those are so cute..good job.
Deby