Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"Uriah Archibald"

During the pregnancies of my previous three children I was not offered to know the gender of the infant during my standard diagnostic ultrasounds. Understandably we picked out names for either gender during each pregnancy. We never "re-used" a name. If their genders were reversed; Danielle would have been Vincent; Jack would have been Lilian; Wesley would have been Erica.

We went for a 3D ultrasound for fun this time! I had already been feeling very much like this was going to be a girl and had prayed and asked God to give us another little girl if that was His will. In the same prayer I was asking to get pregnant quickly if we were meant to have a 4th child. I discovered the pregnancy later that very month so felt confident that God was giving me the desires of my heart! The ultrasound technician confirmed my suspicians saying that she felt quite confident that we had a little girl on the way :-D

At that point we started picking names. The idea of "re-using" past name choices came up and I just felt as though those names had been used already. I also kidded with a friend that each of our kids has their "alter-ego"! She laughed at my reasoning and joked as to whether or not we would pick a boy name for this baby so that she could have an "alter-ego" as well! Relaying the story to my husband later we laughed and he said "sure, Archibald" In throws of laughter I exclaimed "Uriah!" And so it is that we have named this baby (not yet born) Lacey, whose alter-ego is Uriah Archilbald!!

But, every now and again it really hits me that despite this ultrasound and my intuition, this COULD be a boy. Today was one of those days. Over the past few days I've been buzzing like a bee washing and sorting clothes, moving around furniture and boxes. All to prepare for this new baby. I purchased a matching crib sheet, fleece blanket and receiving blankets (pink with purple and blue flowers and butterflies), some wall stickers (flowers and butterflies) I've acquired a used infant carseat (pink), a bumbo baby chair thing (pink) I have 5 drawers of a dressor, 2 diaper boxes and a 54 gal rubbermaid bin all FULL of baby girl clothes! I don't have ANY baby boy clothes. A few of the sleepers and undershirts etc are neutral... but still on the girlie side of neutral.

So, Uriah Archibald, because of the absolute inconveniance that you would cause I do hope that you remain the alter-ego of our lil Lacey!

No comments: